Thursday, August 22, 2013

Wren-fest!

This morning, as I sat at my kitchen table finishing breakfast, I looked out the back door to our deck and saw not one, but two wrens on my rosemary plant.  An entire family has been close by all summer long - they built a nest in some clematis vine that grows on the back fence of my next-door neighbor.  I've been a bird watcher my whole life, but have only in the past few years started seeing wrens with any regularity.

In my area there are two species of this bird - the House Wren and the Carolina Wren.  I have seen mostly the Carolina Wren in the past year around my house, including the "family" I am referring to.  I thought the birds on the plant would make such a great photo, so I ran to the other room to get my camera, fiddled with the settings and slipped back into my chair to see if I could get a shot of the birds on the deck, but alas they were gone.  Out of sight, but not out of hearing range.  These amazing creatures have a disproportionate voice to size ratio - loud doesn't even begin to describe it! I could hear them still hanging out around my deck and back yard, so I picked up my phone and started up the iBird Pro app. This program has over 900 birds listed, complete with recordings of their songs .  It is really amazing to select a bird, play their song and watch them get really curious, really fast - this is the best $5 I've ever spent on an app for my phone!

Out on the deck I went, with my camera and my phone blaring the Wren's song.  I decided to park myself at the bottom of the steps, and wait to see if one of them would perch long enough for me to snap some pictures.  I had barely sat down, when I was startled by something almost hitting my head - it was one of the Wrens, they had dive bombed me!  It was all I could do to contain my laughter - the iBird app was working perfectly.  I was a big puzzle...I looked like me, but sounded like them!

Listening for the recording
Roof Inspector!

Answering back!


















After several overhead attempts to give me a new hairstyle, and only a few chances for photographs, I decided to move to another spot in the hope of some better angles.  I have a chair under a Bradford Pear tree that sits in the corner of my yard - I've had all sorts of wonderful peaceful nature experiences there - one time I even saw a hummingbird chase off a chickadee right above me (I only looked up because I thought I heard the sound of a helicopter in the distance!).

My spot came through for me again today.  As my chair faces the back of our house, I was able to get some great shots of the Wrens on my deck rail. Meanwhile, I was serenaded (or was that scolded?) by what I think was the entire family above me in the tree, hopping around the whole time.  What a perfectly lovely way to start my day - and how fitting is it,that as I finish typing this and am getting ready to post, they are singing their hearts out just outside my window! ♥♥♥